The last word of the defendant Nadezhda Anokina in Vladivostok

 RUSSIA 


The last word of the defendant Nadezhda Anokina in Vladivostok

May 27, 2022

Primorsky Krai


From the courtroom


In her last speech, the defendant told how the biblical truths changed her life for the better and why Jehovah's Witnesses, as sincerely believing people, are unthinkable to be classified as extremists: "I didn't kill anyone, I didn't rob anyone, I didn't hurt anyone. There is not a single victim in our case."


Transcript of the court session in the Leninsky District Court of Vladivostok dated 05/27/2022 in the case 1-14/2022 (1-136/2021; 1-414/2019) on the charges of Nadezhda Anatolyevna Anoikina and others. of committing a crime under Part 2 of Article 282.2 of the Criminal Code of the Russian Federation.


Anokina Nadezhda Anatolyevna:


Dear court, dear participants in the process! First of all, I would like to thank you for the kind and calm atmosphere that has always prevailed at the meetings. Thank you, Your Honor, for always taking into account our straitened circumstances and being ready to make concessions when our health did not allow us to attend meetings or a break was needed. Thanks to Prosecutor Ekaterina Vladimirovna for her respectful attitude. Thanks to Secretary Yana for her kindness. I would also like to thank the security staff, who have always been patient and kind to us. Thanks to our lawyers who defended us throughout the entire process, trying to do it professionally.


In my last word, I want to tell you how I became a Jehovah's Witness. I have searched for the truth in many religions, but I have not found it. In 1996, I began researching the Bible and found answers to all the questions that worried me.


I learned that God is not a faceless person. He has a name — Jehovah. A name that no one else has. I learned that he is a living God, he has compassion for people and understands our difficulties. I learned that the hope of living again does not die with death: the dead have hope of resurrection thanks to the sacrifice of Jesus Christ. "Don't be surprised by this... everyone who is in the graves will hear his voice and be resurrected." I also learned that our diseases are the result of a genetic malfunction that all people inherited from our ancestors. Adam and Eve disobeyed God and became sinners. This condition has been passed on to you and me, and as a result, there are health problems. But it's not forever either. The atoning sacrifice of Jesus Christ makes it possible for those who show faith in him to live in paradise on earth without pain and disease.


The simplicity and logic of the answers convinced me that I had found the truth. Over time, while researching the Bible, I realized that it is not enough to have answers to my questions. Jehovah wants me to develop a close, trusting relationship with him, as with my father. And to do that, I had to adjust my life to his point of view.


It took me years to do it. A small child can be taught what is right and what is wrong, but an adult needs time and a lot of effort. But Jehovah assured me that I would succeed.: "I can do everything thanks to someone who strengthens me." I'm not saying that I succeeded in everything, but I was able to do a lot thanks to his help. Those who knew me in the past were surprised that I managed to change.


My family has never resisted my faith. They trusted me completely. And when they saw the changes, they were even pleased. When we were arrested, my daughters were surprised and could not agree with the fact that I was accused of extremism. They are still at a loss: what is my extremist activity? I read the Bible, sang songs with my friends — and is this extremism? I didn't kill anyone, I didn't rob anyone, I didn't hurt anyone. There is not a single victim in our case, there is no damage, except for the damage that, unfortunately, was caused to us. I still can't receive my pension properly because my card is blocked. And I can't receive correspondence in the mail. Currently, being retired, I continue to work to help sick parents, and, of course, it hurts me very much that I can't even receive my small salary in peace.


On the other hand, as a believer, it does not surprise me that we are being judged. Jesus Christ said, "I have been persecuted, and you will be persecuted."


It is very bitter and painful that I am accused of something that did not even occur to me. For Jehovah's Witnesses around the world, there are two main commandments that they must keep. The first concerns the love of God, and the second is "love your neighbors as yourself." How can you love your neighbors and be an extremist? After all, an extremist, as I understand it, is a person who has nothing sacred, who does not value human lives. The word "extremism" is translated from Latin as "extreme". Literally, it can be interpreted as a commitment to radical views, whether in politics, religion or social issues.


What is my extremism manifested in? At the court hearings, I did not hear from the prosecution what the extreme of my views is, what exactly is extremism. I heard nothing but accusations that we were peacefully gathering to worship God, while not humiliating anyone or harming anyone. What extremist ideas did we discuss? The prosecution is silent about this.


Jehovah's Witnesses all over the world observe neutrality. They don't take part in politics. They respect the governments of the countries in which they live. This is in accordance with the biblical commandment: "Let every soul submit to higher authorities" (Romans 13:1). We are law-abiding, pay taxes and support the efforts of the authorities in taking care of the welfare of citizens. We are peace-loving citizens, and the authorities have no reason to fear us. Here is what was said in a 2001 report by the National Academy of Sciences of a European country on our position of political neutrality: "Today, many people may not like this position of Jehovah's Witnesses. She was the main reason for the persecution of them... in the past. But even in times of repression, Jehovah's Witnesses remained law-abiding citizens." This report noted that "the beliefs and actions of Jehovah's Witnesses today in no way undermine the security or threaten the integrity of any State." I think the reason for the persecution of Jehovah's Witnesses is the position of political neutrality that they have held at all times and in all countries.


Your Honor, I'm not guilty. Considering all that has been said, I ask you to acquit me and my friends.


Summary of the case


Region:

Primorsky Krai

Locality:

Vladivostok

What is suspected:

According to the investigation, he participated in divine services, which is interpreted as participation in the activities of an extremist organization (with reference to the decision of the Supreme Court of the Russian Federation on the liquidation of all 396 registered organizations of Jehovah's Witnesses)

Criminal case number:

11807050001000038

Case initiated:

April 9, 2018

Current stage of the case:

The verdict has entered into force

Investigating:

The Federal Security Service of Russia in Primorsky Krai

Articles of the Criminal Code of the Russian Federation:

282.2 (2), 282.2 (1)

The number of the case in court:

1-14/2022 (1-136/2021; 1-414/2019)

Court:

Leninsky District Court of Vladivostok

Judge:

Maxim Anufriev

Comentarios

Entradas populares de este blog

In Petrozavodsk, One of Jehovah's Witnesses Was Arrested After a Search

The last word of the defendant Vladimir Mavrin in Balakovo

Conscientious objector's 6 months in military detention