The last word of the defendant Maxim Zavrazhny in Nizhny Novgorod

 RUSSIA 


The last word of the defendant Maxim Zavrazhny in Nizhny Novgorod

May 30, 2022

Nizhny Novgorod region


From the courtroom


Speaking before the court, the believer pleaded not guilty. He stated: "I have never participated in rallies or encouraged the overthrow of the government, I have not been a member of armed groups aimed at inciting social, racial and religious discord. It would be contrary to my principles as a Christian."


Transcript of the court session in the Moscow District Court of Nizhny Novgorod dated 05/30/2022 in the case 1-47/2022 (1-455/2021) on charges of Zavrazhnov Maxim Mikhailovich of committing a crime under Part 1 of Article 282.2 of the Criminal Code of the Russian Federation.


Maxim Mikhailovich Zavrazhnov: Your Honor, I am grateful for the opportunity to give me the last word today, and I am glad to do it.


I was baptized as a Jehovah's Witness in July 2000. For me, this was an important and conscious step, because, as the Holy Scriptures say, baptism "saves" and is "a request to God for a clear conscience" (1 Peter 3:21). I became a servant of the God Jehovah, whose name is written in the Bible: "The Lord is a man of war, Jehovah is his name" (Exodus 15:3). The God I serve is the Creator not only of everything we see, but also of the spiritual realm. I promised him that I would live in accordance with his will and the principles set forth in the Holy Scriptures.


What are the will and principles of God? For example, to tell others about his heavenly government and his Son, Jesus Christ. The Gospel of Matthew contains the commandment of Jesus Christ to his disciples: "Go and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit. Teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you" (Matthew 28:19, 20). And I consider myself a disciple of Christ.


Also, from the Holy Scriptures, people who want to follow Christ know that "all who want to live godly in Christ Jesus will be persecuted" (2 Timothy 3:12) and that they will be "hated for the name" of Christ (Matthew 24:9). Therefore, it does not surprise me that I am standing in front of you today, Your Honor.


The two main commandments of Jesus are to love God and to love your neighbor, to treat your neighbors the way you want them to treat you. I am accused of undermining the foundations of the constitutional order, the security of the state, and inciting religious hatred, but all this does not correspond in any way to what I believe in.


The Bible explicitly says that "God is not impartial, but in every nation he who fears Him and does what is right is pleasing to Him" (Acts 10:34, 35). I want to imitate such an important quality of God for me as non-acceptance. Therefore, I believe that I have no reason to exalt some people over others, depending on their nationality, origin, religious beliefs and other criteria — because we all descended from the same human couple.


I have never participated in rallies or encouraged the overthrow of power, I have not been a member of armed groups aimed at inciting social, racial and religious discord. It would be contrary to my principles as a Christian.


In the Bible, in the book of Isaiah, there is such a prophecy: "The people will not lift up the sword against the people, and they will no longer learn to fight" (Isaiah 2:4). These words speak of the peacefulness of the God I serve. For this reason, I did not join the army. But, respecting the laws of the country in which I live, I asked to replace my military service with an alternative civilian one. Although I could have bought a military ticket, as many did at that time, I did not do so, but decided to undergo alternative civilian service. I have been seeking permission for such a service for a long time, and subsequently I was even tried. But this did not scare me, because the most important thing for me was to remain with a clear conscience before God and before the law.


I respect people who profess other religions, as I respect their rights and personal choice. Even the Creator of the Universe respects the choice of each person and does not force them to obey only him. For example, there are such words in the Bible: "If it does not please you to serve the Lord, then choose for yourself today whom to serve" (Joshua 24:15). What do these words mean? That the choice is always up to the person.


Christian life and spiritual growth are impossible if a believer does not communicate with his co-religionists. Religion, in principle, will cease to exist if there is no mutual communication and unity between co-religionists. Realizing this, the Apostle Paul wrote in his letter to the assembly of Jews: "Let us be attentive to each other, encouraging love and good deeds, not leaving our meetings together" (Hebrews 10:24, 25).


Similarly, Jesus, meeting with His disciples and teaching them, left an example for all of us. Therefore, it is important for Jehovah's Witnesses all over the world to meet with believers in order to pray together, sing songs, read the Bible, and listen to speeches based on biblical examples. Neglecting to meet together is also disrespectful to our Creator and Father. Attending religious meetings is one of the main features of many religions.


It is mentioned in my file that on April 19, 2019, I participated in the feast that Jesus Christ established and about which he told his disciples: "Do this in remembrance of Me" (Luke 22:19, 20).


This is the only holiday in the Bible that Jesus asked to celebrate. This is not a wild party with an abundance of alcohol and snacks, this is a modest evening of remembrance and gratitude for what God and his Son have done for all mankind.


In short, the death of Jesus today gives all God-obedient people forgiveness of sins and the opportunity to live forever on earth in good conditions, that is, to have what the first human couple, Adam and Eve, lost. They broke the only rule for them in the Garden of Eden. After eating the forbidden fruit, they lost the opportunity to live forever and inherited diseases and death to all mankind. The Bible says, "As in Adam all die, so in Christ all will come to life" (1 Corinthians 15:22).


Jesus was not a political figure, and when they wanted to make him king, he refused. But his Father, God Jehovah, appointed him King over the whole earth, and the Kingdom of Heaven, which is mentioned in the prayer "Our Father", is the government through which he will restore peace and security on earth, as well as return eternal life to all obedient people who have ever lived on earth and health (Isaiah 65:21-25).


I chose Jesus as my ruler, and this explains why I do not go to the polls, although I respect the right of others to choose and have never forbidden anyone to use it.


Your Honor! Today, as a believer, a Jehovah's Witness, I am being judged for practicing a religion that I consider to be true. But if you do not recognize religion as true, then there is no point in professing it. The Constitution of the Russian Federation in article 28 gives me such a right, but the prosecution has misinterpreted my religious activities, and I, a man who refuses to take up arms and treats people as equals, am accused of extremism! This is a serious error that needs to be fixed.


I am sincerely grateful to you, Your Honor, for giving me the opportunity to express my thoughts and feelings! Thanks!


Summary of the case


Region:

Nizhny Novgorod region

Locality:

Nizhniy Novgorod

What is suspected:

According to investigators, he held meetings, collected donations for the needs of a religious organization, and improved his skills in carrying out missionary activities.

Criminal case number:

11901220089000241

Case initiated:

July 17, 2019

Current stage of the case:

The verdict has entered into force

Investigating:

Department of Internal Affairs of the Ministry of Internal Affairs of Russia in the Nizhny Novgorod region

Articles of the Criminal Code of the Russian Federation:

282.2 (1)

Case number in court:

1-47/2022 (1-455/2021)

Court of First Instance:

Moscow District Court of Nizhny Novgorod

Judge of the Court of first instance:

Ionov Azamat

Comentarios

Entradas populares de este blog

In Petrozavodsk, One of Jehovah's Witnesses Was Arrested After a Search

The last word of the defendant Vladimir Mavrin in Balakovo

Conscientious objector's 6 months in military detention