The last word of the defendant Vitaly Zhuk in Khabarovsk

 RUSSIA 

 

The last word of the defendant Vitaly Zhuk in Khabarovsk

June 20, 2024

Khabarovsk Territory


Explaining his position to the court, the believer noted: "I have not heard what exactly in my words and actions was an extremist crime." He asked the court to take into account that "peaceful worship of God cannot be recognized as a crime in a modern civilized state."


Transcript of the court session in the Industrial District Court of Khabarovsk dated 06/20/2024 in the case 1-6/2024 on charges of Vitaly Vyacheslavovich Zhuk and others. of committing a crime under Part 1 of Article 282.2 of the Criminal Code of the Russian Federation.


Zhuk Vitaly Vyacheslavovich:


I want to start my last word with words of gratitude to those who supported me. I thank our friends for coming to all the meetings, despite the fact that they could not be present in the hall where the hearings were held. Dear friends, your presence has been a support and encouragement to us, thank you very much.


And I also became convinced that love among those living according to biblical principles is not just beautiful words. Jesus said: "By this all will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another" (John 13:35). And I felt this love for myself. I was worried about and supported even by those whom I do not know personally. While in jail, I received letters not only from different parts of our country, from Kamchatka to Kaliningrad, but also from other countries. I am very grateful to everyone who worried about us and remembered us in their prayers. Thanks to the lawyers for their hard work, for the efforts they have made to prove our innocence.


I especially want to thank my beloved wife, Tanya. Thank you for not giving up at the most difficult time for us. You continued to go to work and, despite fatigue and frost, you often came to the pre-trial detention center, brought necessary things and food. Thanks to you and your efforts, incarceration was not so painful for me. Then, when the pre-trial detention center was replaced with house arrest, you continued to work hard, providing us with the means to live. You've had a very hard time. Thank you for your love, care, patience and understanding. You are a real gift from Jehovah to me.


Your Honor, the trial is coming to an end, which in itself causes me conflicting feelings. On the one hand, I am annoyed that I am now facing trial because of far-fetched accusations. The prosecutor is asking for 9 years for me, but I still did not understand why. During the entire trial, I never heard what exactly in my words and actions was an extremist crime and what I should have stopped doing in order not to be considered a criminal. It is also unpleasant that some people who are not familiar enough with our beliefs begin to treat us with suspicion, if not with caution. So, one of my neighbors, with whom I have always had a good relationship, after learning that I had been under arrest for quite a long time, told me: "I don't want to say anything against it, but if you are being tried, then something is wrong with you, not everything is okay."


On the other hand, I understand why this is happening and am not at all surprised by it. Jesus Christ told his apostles: "They will lay hands on you and persecute you, delivering you into synagogues and prisons, and will lead you before kings and rulers for my name. This will be for your testimony" (Luke 21:12, 13). Jesus also warned, "Remember the word that I told you: a servant is no greater than his Master. If they have persecuted me, they will also persecute you; if they have kept my word, they will keep yours" (John 15:20). Jesus himself faced injustice and was executed on false charges. And these charges were very similar to those that are brought against us today: undermining the security of the state, sedition, propaganda of the superiority of one's religion over all others. Was Jesus really guilty of these things? Of course not. Everything he did was dictated by love. He was kind, humble in dealing with ordinary people and never said anything against the state authorities. And I try to follow his example in everything.


Now I would like to tell you about my motives — from what motives I was engaged in matters of faith, why I met with co-religionists and took part in meetings. This is an important point, since crimes of an extremist nature are always committed with direct intent. Of course, it was not extremism that motivated me, as the prosecution interprets it, since I did not have and do not have a goal to sow religious hatred. I did not incite anyone to discrimination, hostility, violence or to break up family relationships. There are no words of mine in the case that would confirm this accusation. And the witnesses who spoke here showed that there were no calls for hostility, hatred and extremism. The only motive for my deeds is love.


First, the love of God, which is that we observe his laws. These include the instruction to meet with co-religionists. The purpose of such meetings is clearly expressed in the Epistle to the Hebrews, the 10th chapter, the 24th and 25th verses: "Let us be attentive to each other, encouraging love and good deeds. Let us not leave our assembly, as is the custom of some, but let us exhort one another."


Another commandment given by God through Jesus is recorded in the Gospel of Matthew, chapter 28, verses 19 and 20: "Go therefore and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you." And therefore, my second motive is love for my neighbors (I have already said that Jesus taught us to treat all people with love, including those who do not sympathize with us and are even hostile). I want a happy life for the people around me. I consider it my task to share with others the knowledge I have gained,

exploring the Bible. Yes, I have said and say that life on earth will change soon. It will be incomparably better than the current one. Everyone will have excellent health, a good home, enough food, and a satisfying job. Human society will be organized differently than it is today: the judicial system, the army, executive authorities, law enforcement and healthcare will not be required. A huge number of people will be engaged in useful, creative work that does not cause any harm to the environment. These are not my words, this is the promise of the Almighty God Jehovah, which he gives through the Bible.


Jesus Christ, living on earth, called preaching about the Kingdom of God the main business of his life. In the Gospel of Mark, chapter 1, verse 38, it says: "He says to them, Let us go to the neighboring villages and cities, that I may preach there too, for that is why I have come." And he told me exactly what would change in people's lives under the rule of this Kingdom. Jesus also proved by deeds that his words were not beautiful promises — he healed "every disease and every infirmity in people." There was no disease that Jesus could not cure — he got rid of blindness, deafness, paralysis and much more. Everyone became healthy only at his word. So he showed that no one on earth will suffer from diseases. "None of the inhabitants will say, 'I am sick'" (Isaiah 33:24).


Jesus also raised the dead, thereby showing that in the future He would bring all the dead back to life. In the Gospel of John, chapter 5, verse 28, he said this: "Do not be amazed at this, for the time is coming when all those who are in the tombs will hear the voice of the Son of God and will go out." Later, the Apostle Paul repeated this thought: "Having hope in God that there will be a resurrection of the dead, the righteous and the unrighteous" (Acts 24:15). The fact that Jesus fed thousands of people with a small amount of food (a few loaves and fish) He showed that the problem of food for humanity will be solved in the future.


In addition, the Bible provides other details about the new world promised by God. The housing problem will become a thing of the past. People "will build houses and live in them, and plant vineyards and eat their fruits. They will not build for another to live, nor plant for another to eat" (Isaiah 65:21, 22). And what is also very important — there will not be a single "hot spot" or places where wars are waged on the whole earth. Genuine peace will be established. People will not only stop fighting, but they will not even be trained in military affairs. A wall has been erected in the park opposite the UN headquarters, on which the words from the book of the Prophet Isaiah are carved: "And they will turn their swords into plowshares, and their spears into sickles: the people will not lift up the sword against the people, and they will no longer learn to fight" (Isaiah 2:4). The time appointed by God will surely come when people will cease to be a threat to each other.


Moreover, people will live in harmony with the world around them, with nature. "Then the wolf will live with the lamb, and the leopard will lie with the kid; and the calf, and the young lion, and the ox will be together, and the little child will lead them. And the cow will graze with the bear, and their cubs will lie together, and the lion, like an ox, will eat straw. And the baby will play over the hole of the asp, and the child will stretch out his hand to the nest of the snake. They will not do evil or harm in all my holy mountain, for the earth will be filled with the knowledge of the Lord, as the waters fill the sea" (Isaiah 11:b–9). Such a life is what every person would like. But not everyone realizes that life will be so transformed. Many people think that this is impossible. But what is impossible for people, the Almighty, who created the earth and everything on it, God Jehovah, promises to fulfill. He himself will restore order and change the structure of human society, and he will not need the help of people in this. He will definitely bring the world to order and harmony. This wonderful life is a gift from God, and he decides for himself who to give it to. Jehovah says that he will make such a gift to someone who tries to be closer to him, who understands well what he expects from us.


And one more thing, Your Honor. I have not always been a Christian. There was a time when I was very skeptical of everything I heard, especially the beautiful promises. I looked for various tricks in them so as not to be deceived. But with regard to the biblical promises, I have found a lot of reasons why they can be trusted. In addition, thanks to the Bible, I was able to change my life — thinking, speech, behavior. I got rid of bad habits and acquired useful ones. I learned how to peacefully solve problems in relationships with other people. So today I am learning to live in a new, peaceful world, arranged by God, in which there will be no place for crime, in particular extremism, hostility and hatred. I really want everyone to learn about this wonderful hope, be able to improve and live in such wonderful conditions.


Your Honor, when passing sentence, please take into account that peaceful worship of God cannot be recognized as a crime in a modern civilized state. I have all. Thank you for listening to me carefully.


Summary of the case


Region:

Khabarovsk Territory

Locality:

Khabarovsk

What is suspected of:

According to investigators, they organized the activities of a religious organization of Jehovah's Witnesses on the territory of Khabarovsk (with reference to the decision of the Supreme Court of the Russian Federation on the liquidation of all 396 registered organizations of Jehovah's Witnesses)

Criminal case number:

11802080002000049

Case initiated:

November 10, 2018

Current stage of the case:

The verdict has not entered into force

Investigating:

From the SU IC of Russia in the Khabarovsk Territory

Articles of the Criminal Code of the Russian Federation:

282.2 (2), 282.2 (1)

The number of the case in court:

1-6/2024 (1-15/2023; 1-216/2022; 1-1031/2021)

Court:

Industrial District Court of Khabarovsk

Judge:

Roman Chiskovskimkeu

Comentarios

Entradas populares de este blog

In Petrozavodsk, One of Jehovah's Witnesses Was Arrested After a Search

The last word of the defendant Vladimir Mavrin in Balakovo

Conscientious objector's 6 months in military detention